Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Days in Lombongan and Ceningan Islands






























Hello All...














As mentioned in one of my previous blogs, Indonesia is an archpelago of 17,000 islands. This is "Water World" revisited. Ocean abounds everywhere and you can not excape is power and beauty.








Recently, I took a three day trip over to Lembongan and Ceningan islands to visit an Australian friend I had met through my buddy Mick Malone. Jenny, a fun and delightful woman married to a Balinese local, Pak Wayan arranged for my passage over the Lombok Strait to Lombongan via the "Scoot". The Scoot being a 36' boat powered by 2, 200 HP Yamahas, took approximately a half hour to cross the channel of maybe ten miles. It was somewhat rough out there, but all passangers and crew managed to land safe and sound in Lembongan harbor as we cruised by The Bounty, an ocean going water park that is somewhere out of this world. Huge yellow yacht anchored to a huge waterslide out in the open ocean near the harbor and the surf spot, Playgrounds. Playgrounds is the tamest of three reefs near Lembongan harbor, the others being the world class right called "Lacerations" and "Ship Wrecks." Wonder where they came up with those names for those surfing reefs....huh???















When I arrived in Lembongan, Jenny had also arranged a local, named Made, named this since he is the second child born in his family to meet me with a rented motorbike with surfboard racks for my borrowed 9' Pearson Arrow surfboard. I was headed over to "Jenny's Place" on the left point wave on Ceningan island. The ride on the motorbike with board and backpack was really crazy, since I had never ridden one of these contraptions, especially with surfboard in tow. As I navigated the small hanging bridge over to Ceningan, I passed through a Balinese village of seaweed farmers. Temples everywhere, and everywhere a view of the emerald waters surrounding Ceningan island. Once arriving at Jenny's I knew I had found another surfing paradise, right in front of my room and view.















Small paths of some asphalt and rock greeted me and I only crashed the motorbike 3 times and felt very fortunate of have survived another ordeal in "third world travel."















Lembongan and Ceningan islands are only for the hardy traveler, but once there the accomodations are fantastic, and the waves are super. I highly recommend anyone visiting Bali to visit these beautiful outer islands.















Hope you all enjoy the photos.














Later...Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment