Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Day at Pantai Padang Padang






















Hello America and the Ships at Sea....














The adventure continues and the "dream never dies". I think MLK said that, but he most likely never saw the poverty and lack of dreams of the people of Indonesia. I have become somewhat philosophical while here and must tell you that we, as Americans have no idea how the rest of the world lives. As Americans, we are extremely isolated whether we like it or not. Not only geographically, but intellectually as well. The rest of the world, and I have met Australians, Indonesians, Germans, Italians, British, Spanish, Brazilians, French and other peoples while here in Bali, but the least of which I have met are actually Americans. They just ain't here.














I rented a mini van a few weeks ago and hired a driver since the traffic is so crazy here and have gotten to know one of the most wonderful persons I have ever met. He truly.....as we say in America...."has my back". His name is Katut, which means he is the fourth child born to his mother, but his nickname is "Kaput", which is German for finished or damaged as he says. Kaput is the most quiet, kind and loyal individual I have met here and he will drive me around 24x7 if I ask him to, but I really only have him drive for me 5 days a week and pay him hansomely given Balinese wages. Actually, I have paid the rent on his house for the next year, which is approximately $250.00 USD. His house is a one room hut on the top of a dusty hill in which he lives with his wife, his 20 month old son, his mother and sister. When it rains here, it floods his house, yet he has absolutely no complaints. He is happy just to put food in his family's mouths. What a guy. Another thing, I have asked him and others like him about their dreams and aspirations (which we take for granted in the US) and he truly looks only to survive another day, smiling all the while.














As surfers, we all have heard about the point breaks of Uluwatu and Padang Padang. I spent the day at the beach (pantai) at Padang Padang the other day and got some great photos, but this is the flat season in Bali, and have only managed to get a few waves in at this point. There are waves of some sort everyday, but you have to have local knowledge, which I am slowly gaining.














One of the other things that amazes me about these happy people in Bali is how life is a struggle for everyone here. The electricity goes off almost every day, and if you do not have a generator, your food spoils in the refrig. Anyway, so much for the doom and gloom. I will finish with some great photos of Padang Padang.....Enjoy!! and Merry Christmas one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment